Saturday, March 17, 2007

ABA and autism

Another night of dreams that followed the same theme. This time it was Applied Behavior Analysis and its validity.

In the first dream, I was being introduced to people, "experts", who treated people with autism. I was introduced to one man who was an expert in applied behavioral analysis. I told him I had learned recently that apa was outdated and proven to be ineffective in the treatment of autism. (this is not true, of course. ABA can be extremely effective when used correctly. Conversely, ABA can also be extremely abusive when used incorrectly.)

The man seemed embarrassed. As we got to the really good stuff, like how autism is best treated, I drifted into deep sleep. No answers here, I'm afraid.


In the next dream I was talking to Jason, a real live person who started a psycho-social rehab company after a falling out with ALA (ALA has recently been shut down by the the state), and currently uses ABA with clients he has in group homes, to discuss the benefits of aba. Of course we were discussing this in the most appropriate place, a football field, and I must have been having some sort of dissociative problem, because I was witnessing it from afar(the bleachers). Still no answers for me.


The last dream was a kind of hodgepodge of the two. The details are very fuzzy. I just know it was, again, about autism and aba and that Jason was there again.

It's good to be awake this morning.

No comments: